Lynn McDougal is the former Managing Partner for the firm. He began his career with the firm in 1962 and served the firm for 44 years until his retirement from full time practice in 2006.
Lynn R. McDougal
His specialties included corporate law, banking, real property, and civil litigation, but he is best known for his expertise in municipal law and his long-time service as a City Attorney. Lynn was the El Cajon City Attorney from 1968 to 2000, and the Imperial Beach City Attorney from 1990 until 2004. He has represented many other government entities, including Carlsbad, Coronado, Del Mar, El Centro, Poway, Alpine Union School District, San Marcos Unified School District. Lynn has also presided as a Superior Court Judge Pro Tem. His litigation experience includes hundreds of Superior Court cases as well as cases argued before the California and Montana Supreme Courts.
One of the highlights of his career was successfully arguing a municipal tax issue before the California Supreme Court in Rider v. County of San Diego, a victory worth $25,000,000 to the County of San Diego.
- University of Colorado, School of Law, Boulder, Colorado, J.D., 1959
- University of Kansas, B.A., 1954
- California and Colorado Bar Associations
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Founder and Past President, San Diego County City Attorneys Association
- League of California Cities (LCC) City Attorneys Dept. President 1979-80, and LCC Board of Directors, 1993-95
- Founding Member, LCC Legal Advocacy Committee, 1975-77
- LCC Lecturer, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1992
- Admitted to Practice – U.S. Supreme Court